Thursday, December 17, 2015

Gingerbread Cookies with Acorn Flour

Processing acorn flour isn't for everyone. I'd call it more of a hobby for a survivalist than the frugal-minded. It takes a fair amount of time and patience for very little return, however I enjoy going out and finding my bounty and then experimenting with ways to incorporate it into my everyday recipes.

Here's an example: gingerbread cookies. Okay, not exactly an everyday recipe but extremely appropriate for the season. To make things simpler on me, I've never even made gingerbread cookies. So it was totally easy to get the taste and texture right!

Hence why I ended up smashing up my first batch to make a crust for a cheesecake. And perhaps why everyone made an odd face and asked what the crust was made of.

I think I finally cracked the code, though. I don't have any milk on hand at the moment, so I'll be skipping icing these cute little guys.


Can you tell which was the last cookie? I'm so ready for a gingerbread man genocide.

Perfect combo of crunchy and soft!



Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 c acorn flour
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp molassses
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 3/4 tsp ginger
  • 1 tsp cinnamon 
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 6 tbsp butter
Mix your ingredients together, dry and then wet. Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes. Once chilled, roll flat with a rolling pin and cut out with a cookie cutter. The dough is a bit crumbly at first, but it's not too difficult to work with. Chill another ten minutes and then bake at 350 F for 12-15 minutes. 

+8 to cooking, +5 to herblore, festive cookies added to inventory

No comments:

Post a Comment